Eufimia was almost completely destroyed by the 1953 earthquake. Before the earthquake it was an important trading port. Large stately homes marked the city, a number of which are still intact. The church of St. Eufemia who the town is named after, is located near the port,. Every year on the 11th of July the name day of this saint is celebrated. On this day the usually quiet Eufimia turns into a busy village with a large party, processions and dancing. A mosaic floor was discovered opposite hotel Moustakis, which is thought to have belonged to a Roman villa or to be the original floor of the Agia Uefimia church. You can visit a number of attractions by taxi, including the underground lake of Melisana and the stalactite caves of Dolgati (duration approx. 1.5 hours).
Eufemia is difficult to find from the north because the bay is well hidden. The village can be easily found from the south and east, because the southern side of the bay is open to the sea.